Tuesday 15 October 2013

The importance of doing a placement through your University years!

So you have all read about how skignz provided a Business student with a summer placement but let’s see how important it is to do a placement while at University.

I studied at Teesside University for three years where I studied Business Management. My course was a 4 year sandwich degree in which I could either go on a placement during my third year or continue to stay on to complete my degree instead. As I felt busy at the time with University work and it was hard to search for placements, I decided in the end that it would be easier for me to finish my degree then do some experience. I wish I had thought this through more clearly before making my decision. It was probably drummed into me all year round that when it came to my third year I should do a placement but I did not notice this, if only I had.

When I had finished my degree I decided that before I got all my results it was time to look for a placement. I got many interviews which went really well and did provide me with more experience in that sector. But when it came to the decision and the phone call to let me know if I was successful or not, I had lost all jobs available to another person who had experience. After a while I thought to myself how stupid I was that I didn't do a placement. I was beginning to come to the conclusion that I was never going to get the chance to have that experience. I mean I had all the qualifications and I knew what to do and that I could do it, I just needed the chance to show this. Even though the jobs available said that they wanted to provide someone with a summer placement experience they always still gave it to other people who had that experience already.

Teesside University this year are providing students now with a Get Ahead programme. This will show students and everyone just how important it is to do a placement and get that experience. It will provide you with a three-month paid internship scheme that runs annually for new graduates from January to March with internships provided by both employers and the University. It will also provide you with a mentor to help you, careers advice, find a student job and many more opportunities that will help. Believe me, it is something that you need to do! I am saying that as I have been in that situation and it doesn't feel good.

Luckily I finally got the chance with skignz to have that experience and show that I can do what I knew I could and learn more along the way. Please make sure that you do all you can to get a placement year throughout your time at University. It will benefit you personally as it will give you a deeper insight for when you return to your final year at University and it will also give you that extra step against anyone else when it comes to applying for a job.
You never know you might even get kept on permanently at the placement you go on if they really like you!

‘The question isn't who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me’ No one can stop you but you. Go for what you want and make sure you get it because you know you can!


No comments:

Post a Comment